Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"The well should take care of the sick."

So as you know the past few days have been a part of a mental health week for me.  The final "event" of the week was to drive in to DC to hear Paul Farmer speak.  Every time he has spoken at an event somewhat near where I am living, I  seem to be out of town or buried under a massive pile of school work.  When I first got the email about tonight's appearance I decided I would get there come hell or high water.


After my research presentation I hopped in the car to do battle with rush hour traffic and pouring rain to get myself to the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue.  It was funny, when I mentioned where I was going people either were super excited/jealous or had never heard of him. 

One of the main reasons for the event was to discuss his new book, To Repair the World, which is a collection of his past speeches.  It is called a must read book for students and young professionals looking to make a lasting impact.  I have not picked up a copy of the book, but hope to be able to read it over the Memorial Day long weekend. 

There were two things that stuck out from the evening's conversation:

1)  Serendipity:  Much of life happens because of serendipitous moments.  New opportunities come up and you should take advantage of them because you may find your new passion and/or a way to get to your end goal. 

2)  If you are not challenged and do not have to struggle along the way, you will probably wake up and regret the direction your life took.  At the same time there are just some days where you need to take a time out and let yourself have some "me time" ... it will keep you sane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment